Producing the Practical print catalog (fall 2017)
Deadline September 20th – the September New Moon
We compose this catalog in on our print application
which “should” be gated so others cannot access.
denise chooses the products and
places them on pages
1-12 1-16 (denise added an extra print sheet this year) ← #done
#2 …generate XML for print job use gen_print_xml_files.php?niche=p ← #done
Fix parsing errors. After generating stroy_and_pictures.xml (above), special caracters must be removed from the data via db. The file is best audited by viewing the XML file in a browser, Firefox will indicate exactly where the errors be. apparently my famous “...” cannot be used in our product descriptions … they make a character type which when copied from here to speaktomecatalog db barfs when it gets into an XML file.
So edit out all erroneous “copied” character types so that the XML file validates ← #done
- in my local mac drive, create a new directory for the print project
- sethrussell/Google Drive/print projects/niche PT 20YY-MM … here YY=17, MM=09 ← #done
- set FTP view called “print catalog XML” to the following ….
- new local directory above ← #done
- public_html/db ← #done
- and download story_and_pictures.xml into that local directory ← #done
#4 …Joson dinks and puts the high resolution pictures in CYMK in our shared Google/My Drive/picture
That directory should sync to my local Google Drive/picture.
Currently they look in sync. ← #done
But if they were not i might have to download. ????
load the last inDesign file from it’s google drive directory and #SaveAS in the current one just created in step #3 above. Old directory will probably be in File/Open Recent.
in 2017 new cataloged was saved to
My Drive/print projects/PT 2017-09.indd ← #done
4 pages were added in the middle of the document turning the 12 page catalog into a 16 page catalog
#6 Replace old XML structure with new one
To replace it with the new structure click File/Import XML and let the options show the same as in this picture, and click OK. The new pictures and text will replace the old ones in their respective slots on the pages
#6a Adding pages and products on a page that were not present in old catalog
add pages 7 – 10
#7 Now review all the pages and products.
- Move things around in the app → http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/db/catalog.php
- Make changes to the product text in → http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/db/
- Export the new XML file with → gen_print_xml_files.php?niche=p
- ftp the XML file back to the local drive with the FTP profile “Print Catalog XML”
- Import the revised XML file in the document with “File/Import XML”
# 8 Dink picturesYour basic dink is ...
- select the picture
- click fit frame to content
- click fit content to fram
- move with just arrow keys to new position
- maybe do 3 & 4 again
# 9 Review performance of last year’s couponsee database – online orders only were recorded here
would need to check records in Tome to find phone orders
Count of use of code “PRINT1” in Tome yields:
15 orders @ $10 each costing us $150 and yielding something in excess of $750.the exact gross is more because people did not just order $75 but would take too much work to calculate.
after review by denise the coupon will be
# 10 Choose a printer
- YourTown Press Estimate No: 106561 PDF ← a #NoBrainer 7500 @ $1881 same as last year
- Eagle quote ~ $400 above
# 11 Spellcheck the whole document within the #indesign
- Call up the spellchecker: Edit/Spelling/Check Spelling
- change spellings in /db
- update the document as in #7 (2-5) above
#12 Output a pdf file on GoogleDriveInstructions → File/Adobe Presets/[High quality print]
#13 review products & prices with denise
can be done direct from PDF. (no need to print)
#14 Make corrections in file or db and regenerate as above.
final changes ←
export new pdf ←
#15 Output Black & White version for press
In File/Adobe Presets/[High quality print]
Color Converstions : Convert to Destination
Destination: choose Dot Gain 30 %
#16 Send job to press via email attachment
Send job to YourTown press via email attachment ←
Recieve proof back in private email and go ok it here.
and my response here ←
Okay proof and wait for YourTown Press to print job and send to eagle mailing (4 days)
#17 Generate the mailing file in Tome
- Hit nicheExport.php to produce a db/niche.txt file that gets FTP’d to denise:c:TOME
- Run codeselectivemail.prg on TOME.
- Modify db/labelm.prg according to this ...
- run labelm to produce the c:\tome\mailing.dbf
- email job …
Wait for them … wait for them … ←