2017c Fall Print Catalog
We compose the products
in the catalog in on our web application
denise chooses the products and
places them on pages
1-12 1-16 (denise added an extra print sheet this year) ← #done
to generate the XML structure for print job
composed in InDesign click
Fix parsing errors. After generating stroy_and_pictures.xml (above), special caracters must be removed from the data via db. The file is best audited by viewing the XML file in a browser, Firefox will indicate exactly where the errors be. apparently my famous “...” cannot be used in our product descriptions … they make a character type which when copied from here to speaktomecatalog db barfs when it gets into an XML file.
So edit out all erroneous “copied” character types so that the XML file validates ← #done
- in my local mac drive, create a new directory for the print project
- sethrussell/Google Drive/print projects/niche PT 20YY-MM … here YY=17, MM=09 ← #done
- set FTP view called “print catalog XML” to the following ….
- new local directory above ← #done
- public_html/db ← #done
- and download story_and_pictures.xml into that local directory ← #done
#4 …Joson dinks and puts the high resolution pictures in CYMK in our shared Google/My Drive/picture
That directory should sync to my local Google Drive/picture.
Currently they look in sync. ← #done
But if they were not i might have to download. ????
load the last inDesign file from it’s google drive directory and #SaveAS in the current one just created in step #3 above. Old directory will probably be in File/Open Recent.
in 2017 new cataloged was saved to
My Drive/print projects/PT 2017-09.indd ← #done
4 pages were added in the middle of the document turning the 12 page catalog into a 16 page catalog
#6 Replace old XML structure with new one
To replace it with the new structure click File/Import XML and let the options show the same as in this picture, and click OK. The new pictures and text will replace the old ones in their respective slots on the pages
#6a Adding pages and products on a page that were not present in old catalog
Bear in mind that the XML structure in the left panel of the inDesign screen shows the desired structure that is produced by the catalog.php app. The structure of the pages must be changed to correspond. For example to add pages 7 – 10, go to those pages and add text frames. Then add the picture frames as content type graphic.
… then drag from the structure element in the left XML panel to the corresponding structure in the document to apply the content to that element.
Notes on adding pages and products
Product pages, or product pictures are added to the catalog by …
- making a frame in the appropriate place and
- selecting whether it is a text frame or a graphic frame: menu object, content, text or graphic
- Drag the corresponding page or product text from the XML structure and drop it on the frame.
#7 Now review all the pages and products.
- Move things around in the app → http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/db/catalog.php
- Make changes to the product text in → http://www.speaktomecatalog.com/db/
- Export the new XML file with → gen_print_xml_files.php?niche=p
- ftp the XML file back to the local drive with the FTP profile “Print Catalog XML”
- Import the revised XML file in the document with “File/Import XML”
# 8 Dink pictures ← #doneYour basic dink is ...
- select the picture
- click fit frame to content
- click fit content to frame
- move with just arrow keys to new position, or drag yello gadget on right of the frame.
# 9 Review performance of last year’s coupon← 2015c coupon
Count of use of code “PRINT1” in Tome yields: 15 orders @ $10 each costing us $150 and yielding something in excess of $750. the exact gross is more because people did not just order $75 but would take too much work to calculate.
← in 2016c coupon
← in 2017c coupon → #done
# 10 Spellcheck the whole document within the #indesign
- Call up the spellchecker: Edit/Spelling/Check Spelling
- change spellings in /db
- update the document as in #7 (2-5) above
#11 Output Black & White version for press – save in google drive directory
Attaching the PDF file …
Proof was sent us as PDF and approved
it looked identical to the one we sent them → #done
#14 Code the neiche in the comment line of each invoice
- Hit nicheExport.php to produce a db/niche.txt file that gets FTP’d to denise:c:TOME
- Run codeselectivemail.prg on TOME. In 2017 i started this ~ 1:30 and it ran till 3:30 … 2 hrs. ← #done
#15 Generate the mailing database to send to the mailing company
- Modify db/labelm.prg according to this ...
- run labelm to produce the c:\tome\mailing.dbf
- mailing.dbf emailed to Eagle Mailing service with job specifications in this email → #done
- see old Ray Little’s email archive here